Sunday, May 21, 2017

Easter 6, 2017: Entering the heart of the other

I had the pleasure of supplying again at St. Mark's, Chester, SC. This was our interactive homily. Below are the audio file and notes for this extemporaneous sermon.

Lectionary: Acts 17:22-31; Psalm 66:7-18; 1 Peter 3:13-22; John 14:15-21



If this player doesn't work on your device, click HERE

St. Francis of Assisi: The result of prayer is life. Today we hear Jesus’ prayer…

“On that day you will know that I am in my Father (trans: originator, progenitor, founder of a race. Plural: father and mother), and you in me, and I in you.”

Jesus = first advocate and in this gospel, promises to send ANOTHER advocate whom the world won’t be able to see b/c he won’t be incarnated.

You will know this advocate who will dwell in you – the Spirit of truth. (Note: week’s gospel: Jesus said, I AM the way, the truth, and the life) This is the Spirit of God who dwells in each and every one created of God, connecting us, making us one.

At Celtic retreat yesterday, we asked this question: HOW DO WE ENTER THE HEART OF THE OTHER?

Regarding God --- Our example is Mary – who demonstrated the process for us: prayer, invitation, & reception of the Spirit of God.

Chant: ARISE MY CHOSEN LOVE, MY BEAUTIFUL ONE… ARISE, BE ONE WITH ME.

Jesus said: On that day you will know that I am in my (originator, progenitor, founder of a race. Plural: father and mother), and you in me, and I in you.

Regarding other people (especially those whom we rather not) --- the process is the same: prayer, invitation, reception.

Story of maximum security prison visits… Serial rapists, murderers… My expectations of them… their expectations of me… I spoke from my experience – not blaming or condemning them (society had already done that). I simply spoke truth - the truth of how it felt (to me) to be dominated, violated, and disrespected, the humiliation and the degradation. Inner story: the “Mountain Man.”

In response, most of the men spoke of their early childhood abuse. And suddenly, all labels of distinction (male-female; perpetrator-victim; free-imprisoned) disappeared --- and we were one.

Chant: I AM IN GOD AND GOD’S IN YOU, SO LET US LIVE AS ONE.

Bp. Bennett Sims, HenrĂ­ Nouwen spoke of us, as followers of Christ, as wounded healers. Each of us living our own,unique vulnerability - our cross, which becomes the strength of our evangelism.

THAT’S HOW WE ENTER THE HEART OF GOD & THE HEART OF THE OTHER.

For we truly are in Christ, who is in us, who are in God…and THERE is life.

No comments: